Thursday, February 18, 2010

Go Go Power Rangers!


Growing up I was a huge fan of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangerrrrrsss. Right this moment, I just found out they dropped the 'g' in Morphing just for the show. And you wonder why we don't talk good in America. Besides spotting bad spelling, this extra decade and a half of life helped me see the real opinion of the people in charge of everything you're exposed to in the media. My Grandma use to buy me hella Disney movies & other cartoon & kid movies when I was younger, but my mom didn't let me watch one video because it was something in a daffy duck cartoon that was blatantly racist. Til this day I still don't know what it was because we lost track of quite a few VHS'.

Today when I look back at the "Scavengers" in Pocahontas, how Goofy from Goof Troop was supposed to be black, & in our first "Genuine Black Disney Movie" the characters are poor!!! It makes you sit back & say...WTF?!?!? Seriously? I mean so little Tiana couldn't be a human the whole movie or get a Prince that had money? She couldn't get the Cinderella treatment? Why did she have to borrow her rich white friend's dress to look pretty? Where was her fairy godmother?

As you can see, this is not new at all & its not old enough to be played out yet. Back to one of my most favorite childhood memories...I understand why I didn't catch the symbolism of having a Black Black Ranger, an Asian Yellow Ranger, a super cool White Ranger & so on & so forth, but how did my parents allow me to jump off the couch acting like Jason the red ranger? Is it cool that I wanted to be the lead ranger? (I would've been the white ranger, but we couldn't find the costume) Should I just have been Zach (that's how its spelled on my power ranger sheets) or would it just be enforcing that pawn in a chess world stereotype? Either way it goes, somebody finally attacked the racist background of the show and they did a pretty good job.

They disabled the embedding so click here to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment