Friday, February 19, 2010

Subject: What Is Really Going On?

Most mornings I listen to the Steve Harvey Morning Show & they have a daily letter written by someone who is in a tough situation. Here is the letter from today.

I've been married for 15 years. My spouse has a best friend that is a female. I knew about this when we got marry. I was okay with that because I have a lot of male friends. But now things are a little strange for me. He is now visiting her every other weekend (which is a 5 hour drive one way). He has taken her to Canada and now would like to take her to Brazil. He didn't ask me if I would like to go. I was a little upset about him asking her if she would like to go. I asked him why would he do that and not ask me. His reply was I do not have a passport and that she is paying her own way. His action is not of a man who love's his spouse. He feels because he is open with me about what his plans are, that it is okay to do this. I feel it is disrespectful to me.
Shirley and Steve what is your take on this?
Out of the 14 years we have been married he has never treated me this way.

I can imagine this dude pullin out the DJ Paul line "I got the d**k so I make the rules!" I think it's fair to say that she is trying to be too open to this new generation relationship. I'll admit, I have quite a few female friends. I will also admit one exclusive friendship escalated to a relationship, but that was not intentional & I don't foresee anything like that happening again. I've been fortunate enough to have friends that understand my relationship too. Now that I'm with a young lady that I care about, I try to spend a lot of time with her & my friends understand that. It may be because everyone has lives of their own & a couple of my closest friends live hours away, but either way it goes none of them are bitter. On the other hand, I know someone else *cough cough* with more needy friends that get in the way of a progressing relationship.

Before I got in this predicament, I told my female friend at the time "I could never date you." I said that because when she had a man, you couldn't tell at all. I thought she was way too close to me & other guys, plus she did what she wanted no matter what. Apparently dude was cool with it, but I wouldn't be. So, stuff happened and we ended up together. She already knew how I was so for a while things were adjusted for our liking, but after a while I was thinkin...she gettin too comfortable ain't she? So I had to put my size 11's down, ya dig? Before I get my nuts chopped off I'll skip to the moral of this story: People only do what you allow them, so you better get your trip to Brazil too. You AND the kids.

1 comment: